Thursday, June 11, 2009

Where is the water?

Today I was faced with a dilemma. For a few days now no water has come to our buildings and although we have made all reasonable effort to store and gather water our supplies are running seriously thin. I am constantly reminded by my neighbours of the need to only use essential water and preserve whatever pani I can. Yet, today I was tempted to give our precious remaining drops of water away. 

 

Raids on our water supply are not uncommon, by monkeys, langores and humans, normally they all can be seen off with a stick, but today when I heard the familiar sounds of someone raiding our supply I sprung upon a group of scraggly children carrying empty cantinas. Rather than run, such was there desperation (my neighbours would say their cheek) that they banged their empty cantinas and pleaded for water, saying that they were dyeing of thirst.

 

So, what to do? Should I stay faithful to my obligations to my neighbours and family and preserve as much of our rapidly diminishing water reserves as possible, or should I take pity on fellow humans lacking the most basic of human needs? 

 

In the end, I found a compromise, which only angered my household slightly and probably only appeased the children slightly. My compromise was to give them money and ask them to go to the market and use it to buy some water.  They grudgingly departed and my household later reprimanded me saying that the only thing you should give them is a hit with a stick. If you give them once they will be back for more, I was warned.

 

Water problems are nothing new in Shimla, the fact that the town was built in a dry area away from any major natural water source, such as a river. Was not a huge problem at first, however as the population expanded colonial Shimla had to increasingly wrestle with water supply. Fast forward to today and the population explosion, combined with the effects of global warming have lead to a rather desperate water situation. The people of Shimla therefore have to face dilemmas like the one I faced regularly. Most choose, perhaps sensibly, to look after there own and turn the others away. Yet, I wonder what the Father’s at the church make of this, or indeed the congregants. How is this squared with Christian ethics? I think I shall have to ask people about this on Sunday.

 

2 comments:

  1. yes..you are right Jonathan, living on the dry mountain and suffering for the basic human need is a very common thing for all Shimlites, until there will be no concrete planning Shimla will keep on suffering, no doubt there are problems like population and lack of infrastructure, but this thing can not be seen as an excuse on the part of the municipal council. I really feel pity on our administration and its really shameful that they don't want to solve water crises. I don't know why Shimla has not learned sth substantial from its past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that there was a project to pipe water in from the Beas or somewhere, but the pipe was fitted with so many holes that hardly any water got through. Although the government projects may waste water through faulty pipes and the like, one very positive thing about Shimla living though is that it teaches the general populace to be frugal with water and not waste it, which people in the UK do quite shamelessly - I find myself still checking my water use in a way that I never did before. So, in a world with increasing climate problems, maybe Shimla style water conservation is the way forward for us all.

    ReplyDelete